Monday, December 27, 2010

Sour Cream Pound Cake with Toasted Almonds and Chocolate Bits

I swear this cake is calling my name...Yes, I have one more variation on the sour cream pound cake that I posted the other day, and it's presently sitting in my dining room calling my name. I can't resist this cake when it's around, so I am now calculating the calories burned on the elliptical, versus the caloric intake of the cake, and I think it's a push!

Sour Cream Pound Cake with Toasted Almonds and Chocolate Bits:


It's the same base recipe that you may have already seen in an earlier post. My feeling is that if you've found a great recipe, then why not stick with it?

Sour Cream Pound Cake
1/2 lb butter or Earth Balance (melted)
3 cups flour
3 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
5 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
Confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  • Melt butter
  • Place all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl 
  • Add eggs, sour cream, vanilla and melted butter
  • Mix well with electric mixer on medium for 4-5 minutes
And here is the variation. Prepare the above and then add:
2 cups of toasted slivered almonds (cool before adding to the batter)
6  ounces of chopped semi-sweet chocolate (Callebaut Belgian Chocolate) or in a pinch the mini chocolate chips will do.
2 tsp of almond extract

Grease and flour bundt or tube pan; pour in batter and bake for 1.5 hours or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean; cool in the pan for 20 minutes and then insert knife around edges and remove gently from pan.  Place on rack until completely cooled.  Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.

I have a smaller tube pan that I like to use, and then there is enough batter to make two small loaves for gifts

 


Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment